This is the website of Dawn Bonfield MBE CEng, HonFIStructE, FICE, FIMMM, FWES
I am Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor of Inclusive Engineering at Aston University, and Founder & Director of Towards Vision, a Company which aims to work towards a vision of diversity and inclusion in engineering. In this role:
- I am developing an University undergraduate module on Inclusive Engineering to equip our next generation of engineers with the skills and competencies they need to be inclusive
- I am working with engineering processes to embed inclusivity into mainstream engineering practice through the tools that we use
- I am involved in a number of collaborative projects and consultancy work to increase inclusivity in engineering
- I am co-founder of IncEng, a UK network of under-represented groups in engineering, launched in September 2017
- I am currently organising a Year of Engineering Roadshow entitled 'Meet the Parents' taking place throughout the UK in 2018
My other passion is the promotion of gender and other diversity in engineering, and in this capacity I am involved in the following projects:
- I am developing an exciting project with Karen Livesey called the Waterloo Bridge Sculpture Project to ultimately commission a full sized sculpture on Waterloo Bridge to commemorate the work of women in engineering and construction during the First and Second World Wars. See further details and get involved here.
- I am leading a Women's Business Council project to reach students and parents and encourage girls to continue in STEM careers
- I am working with the Royal Academy of Engineering on the Measurement of Diversity and Inclusion in engineering businesses
- Through my work with the GEDC (Global Engineering Deans Council) I am working on a global platform for sharing work, evidence and best practice in engineering inclusivity
- I founded and now manage the Magnificent Women activity to promote our magnificent women in engineering history
- I also give talks and deliver outreach promoting engineering to girls
If you are interested in working with me to bring Inclusive Engineering to your business, please get in touch.
I am Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor of Inclusive Engineering at Aston University, and Founder & Director of Towards Vision, a Company which aims to work towards a vision of diversity and inclusion in engineering. I am Past President and former Chief Executive of the Women's Engineering Society (WES).
I am a materials engineer by profession having studied Materials Science at Bath University. During my career I have worked as a materials engineer at AERE Harwell, Citroen Research Centre (Paris), British Aerospace (Bristol), MBDA (Stevenage), and the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (London). I am a Chartered Engineer, a European Engineer and Fellow of ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers), IOM3 (Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining) and WES (Women's Engineering Society), and an Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers. I am the founder of National Women in Engineering Day (now International Women in Engineering Day) and in 2015 won a WISE Award and an Association Congress Award for this campaign. In February 2016 I won the SEMTA award for Diversity in Engineering. During my time at WES I was the founder of the inaugural 50 Women in Engineering List with the Daily Telegraph, the Magnificent Women schools outreach project, and the Sparxx project to support students in CRESTA (Creativity, Engineering, Science, Technology and Art). I am very proud to be one of the Patrons of Alton Convent School at Alton, Hampshire.
I was a finalist of the 2016 GEDC Airbus Global Diversity Award, and received an MBE in 2016 for 'Services to the promotion of diversity in engineering'. I am a member of other groups including:
- Trustee, Engineering Inspiration
- Member of Women in Materials Committee of Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining
- Member of the DfE Technical Education Inclusivity Working Group
- Member of the Visiting Professors' Management Group
- Member of the Royal Academy of Engineering Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Group on Measurement
- Member of the Women’s Business Council STEM Starting Out Subgroup
- Patron at Alton Convent School, Hampshire
- External Athena Swan Advisory Group Member, City University
Please read my blogs and twitter feed (@dawnbonfield) for an idea of my work and thoughts, and please contact me if you have any comments or suggestions.