This is the website of Dawn Bonfield MBE CEng, HonFIStructE, FICE, FIMMM, FWES
I am currently Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor of Inclusive Engineering at Aston University, and also Director of Engineering Equality Diversity and Inclusion at Aston University. I am Founder & Director of Towards Vision, a Company which aims to work towards a vision of diversity and inclusion in engineering. I am Past President and former Chief Executive of the Women's Engineering Society. I am a member of the Engineering Design T level Panel. I am a materials engineer by background and spent many years working in the aerospace industry on composite materials. I manage the Magnificent Women project which celebrates the history of women in engineering, and uses our inspiring heritage to encourage the next generation of engineers. I am the UK representative on the World Federation of Engineering Organisations (WFEO) Women in Engineering Committee.
In my various roles today:
- In 2019 I launched the Top 100 Historical Women in Engineering list, celebrating 100 years of women in engineering
- I was named number 2 in the Inclusive Boards Financial Times Top 100 Influential Women in Engineering list
- I work as a consultant advising companies on diversity and inclusion in engineering: how to change corporate culture; how to recruit more diverse teams; and how to retain talent.
- I am developing University undergraduate content on Inclusive Engineering to equip our next generation of engineers with the skills and competencies they need to be inclusive (Further details at here www.inceng.org)
- I am working with engineering processes to embed inclusivity into mainstream engineering practice through the tools and processes that we use (e.g. accreditation)
- In 2018 I delivered a year long Year of Engineering Roadshow entitled 'Meet the Parents' taking place throughout the UK
- I manage a project and website called Magnificent Women, celebrating historical women in engineering
- I am managing a number of projects in 2019 linked to the Centenary of the Women's Engineering Society, celebrating 100 years of women in engineering
- I am a member of the steering group for the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Diversity and Inclusion in STEM
- I am co-founder of IncEng, a UK network of under-represented groups in engineering, launched in September 2017
- I am working with the Royal Academy of Engineering on the Measurement of Diversity and Inclusion in engineering businesses
If you are interested in working with me to bring Inclusive Engineering to your business, please get in touch.
Biography Dawn Bonfield MBE CEng FIMMM FICE FIStructE FWES
Dawn Bonfield MBE is a Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor of Inclusive Engineering at Aston University, and Director of Engineering Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at Aston University. She is the Founder & Director of Towards Vision, a not-for-profit which aims to work towards a vision of diversity and inclusion in engineering. She is Past President and former Chief Executive of the Women's Engineering Society (WES), and in 2019 is coordinating a number of projects to celebrate 100 Years of Women in Engineering, including launching the Top 100 Historical Women in Engineering List in 2019. Dawn is a member of the Engineering Design T level panel, and serves on a number of educational committees promoting engineering. She is the UK representative on the World Federation of Engineering Organisations (WFEO) Women in Engineering committee. She is co-founder of IncEng, a platform to bring together under-represented groups in engineering.
Whilst at the Women's Engineering Society in 2014 Dawn was the founder of International Women in Engineering Day which takes place on 23 June annually, and in 2015 established the successful 50 Women in Engineering List with the Daily Telegraph. She established and still runs the Magnificent Women outreach project and website, encouraging more young women into engineering.
A materials engineer by profession - having studied Materials Science at Bath University - Dawn has worked at AERE Harwell, Citroen Research Centre (Paris), British Aerospace (Bristol), MBDA (Stevenage), and the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (London).
Dawn received an MBE in 2016 for 'Services to the promotion of diversity in engineering'.
In 2015 Dawn won a WISE Award and an Association Congress Award for the INWED campaign, and in 2016 she won the SEMTA award for Diversity in Engineering. In 2016 she was a finalist in the GEDC Airbus Global Diversity Award, and in 2017 she won the Women's Business Council STEM 'Starting Out' award. In 2019 she was named as number 2 in the Inclusive Boards Financial Times Top 100 Women in Engineering List.
She is a member of other groups including:
- T level panel member: Engineering Design
- Member of the DfE Technical Education Inclusivity Working Group
- Member of the Visiting Professors' Management Group
- Member of the Royal Academy of Engineering Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Group on Measurement and the E4E (Education for Engineering) Group
- Member of the Women’s Business Council STEM Starting Out Subgroup
- Member of Bath University Court
- Patron at Alton Convent School, Hampshire
- External Athena Swan Advisory Group Member, City University
Please read my blogs and twitter feed (@dawnbonfield) for an idea of my work and thoughts, and please contact me if you have any comments or suggestions.